Written by Tim Wood
The beginning of a new year is an ideal time to stop, look up, and get our bearings. To that end, here are some questions to ask prayerfully in the presence of God. The value of many of these questions is not that they are profound, but in the simple fact that they bring an issue or commitment into focus. For example, just by articulating which person you most want to encourage or pray for this year is more likely to help you remember to encourage or pray for that person.
- What’s one thing you could do this year to increase your enjoyment of God?
- What’s the most humanly impossible thing you will ask God to do this year?
- What’s the single most important thing you could do to improve the quality of your family life this year?
- In what ways will you care for your soul this year?
- What is the single biggest time-waster in your life, and what will you do about it this year?
- What is the most helpful new way you could strengthen your church?
- For whose salvation will you pray most fervently this year?
- Who is the person you want to encourage most this year?
- What one thing could you do to improve your prayer life this year?
As you consider these questions or others consider these two verses of Scripture. Proverbs 21:5 – “The plans of the diligent lead surely to advantage. And the words of Jesus, “Apart from me you can do nothing” (John 15:5).
For from him and through him and to him are all things. To God be the glory in 2017 and forevermore! Amen.